Saturday, March 17, 2007

More Dollar Comics


I mentioned in an earlier post that I am buying some old comics at my local shop. Some guy sold his collection and The shop is selling most of them for a dollar a piece. This is is a bonanza for me because most of the books are from the Eighties and the unknown collectors buying habits were similar to my own.

The early eighties were a very furtile time for Independent books! There were more than one distributor and the direct market could give you exposure. I remember in High School, hearing about a new comic called the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It was such a big deal, but I thought the art was heinous. I shouldn't talk. My art back then was just as bad. Anyway, The book was a direct market smash and it inspired all kinds of artists and publishers.

This image is of a book called The Survivors printed in 1983. It looks like it was created by just one guy in a studio and printed as a labor of love! I can relate! It was published by Steve Woron out of Connecticut, and I wonder what happened to him. Is he in the business or gone on to another field? If you are out there Steve W., know that you have a fan. Independent publishers rule!

2 comments:

Sara Kocher said...

Have you checked out his web site?

It's at www.illustrationstudio.com

Don Hudson said...

Thanks for the link! It's a nifty website!