Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Back to Greenpoint!




I lived in Greenpoint, Brooklyn in 1990. I did a lot of background work with inkers and the occasional rush job for Marvel. I shared a three bedroom, two bathroom apartment on McGuinness Blvd with two other guys starting out in comics. In fact, the entire nighborhood was peppered with Marvel staffers and freelancers! Everyone from the old crowd has moved away, including me, but I'll never forget the small comic book community I was a part of in Greenpoint.

So that was then... What's the place like now? I did a walking tour of the old nighborhood and found out a few things. Greenpoint was and still is a Polish nieghborhood. Old washed up guys, young immigrants and ethnic shops. There are more young professionals in from Manhattan and a lot of high-end construction to house them.

I thought I would see more high end shops along the main avenue. Nope. The same old tacky shops. It looks like the action is further south near Williamsburg. I walked from the L train station north to my old apartment on McGuinness Blvd. Then back down to the derilict waterfront. It was such a nice day, I enjoyed the walk and the trip down memory lane.

On the train back to Manhattan, I wondered if I would ever move back to Greenpoint. Probably not. There's a few things that's missing. A good comic shop, a really good Restaurant/bar and some excellent friends.

4 comments:

mmclaurin said...

Ah, the smell of sewage treatement on those warm summer days. I remember that time fondly. I still wonder if Dave Wohl has ever forgiven me. In the next week or so, I'm going to post a photo of the graffittied wall in that old apartment, that we knocked down when we moved. Thanks for the memories!

Steve Buccellato said...

I'm gettin' all misty-eyed!

Oh, those were the days...freezing our buts off waiting for the G train...

Steve Buccellato said...

"Butts," that is. Or "Buttocks," if you prefer.

ROCKWITZ said...

I moved back to Greenpoint on several occasions-never recapturing that magic of my early days. As a matter of facet when Marvel gave me the boot in late '94 I moved back to McGuinness Blvd once again. I was right across from the kitchen window I used to sit by and drink 6 packs of beer :)
Ah fetid memories-enough to drive me all the way out to San Diego when Heisler offered me a gig @ Wildstorm Productions. I thought about moving back in 2000, but the rents are through the roof-the smells haven't left and stupid yuppies are everywhere. I dont miss it-not for a second