Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving BBQ

I decided to barbecue this years turkey. How can you do such a thing you ask? First I did some research, and the NYTimes has some great articles on BBQ Smoking. I love to grill and this presented me with a challenge.

It turned out GREAT! I brined the bird the night before, and left it in the fridge to marinate. I stopped by a local lumber yard for some Oak wood scraps( they had plenty!) and made sure I had enough charcoal. The cooking done by the smoke, not the heat. I soaked the wood in beer to give it a nice flavor. The coals can't be too hot. I made sure to watch the coals and kept the lower vent closed.

The turkey was tasty, juicy and had a easy smoky flavor. It took as long as a conventional oven, so if you have a back yard, I recommend smoking your holiday turkey!

1 comment:

Sara Kocher said...

Mmmm...this sounds fabulous, Don. If we ever stay home for T-day instead of heading to the in-laws, I'll be asking for your recipe.